What you need to know

Everything you need to know about coming to Quebec and studying French with us.

Scroll down to find out:


Preparing in advance

Preparing to move to Quebec.

International Students

Study permits for International (including American) students

Financial Info

Financial information for the Language and Immersion programs.

School Comparison

See how we compare to other French Language schools.



Preparing for classes

Learning French is a real challenge. Here are some ways to help you prepare:

  • Get a head start! Try to take some French before coming. Community courses, online sites or apps are great resources to get started and will help when you first arrive and start classes.
  • Review English grammar. A good understanding of grammar is essential to learning French.
  • It’s not about grades. Set aside all preconceived notions about good grades and classroom competition and simply seek to learn as much as possible. Going back to the classroom later in life is challenging but a positive attitude works wonders.
  • Prepare to immerse yourself.  The more you and your family dive completely into French and “abstain” from English books, media and conversation, the more French you will learn and the faster you will be able to communicate.

Customs and Insurance

  • Canadian Customs – For those moving to Quebec from the United States, the Canadian government may require a refundable cash deposit on household furniture, appliances and vehicles brought into Canada by students, so come prepared with a detailed list. The amount required varies with the value of your belongings. You can obtain information concerning current customs regulations by calling or writing your nearest Canadian embassy or by visiting the Canadian Border Services Agency website.
  • Medical Insurance – Make sure that your medical insurance policy will cover you in Quebec. In the event of hospitalization, you will be required to pay all services up front and then apply for reimbursement from your insurance company afterward. It is possible to purchase medical insurance from a local company, www.rsatravelinsurance.com, located in Sherbrooke.
  • Automobile Insurance – If you are bringing a vehicle with you, check to make sure that your insurance will cover you while in Quebec.

Preparing to Move to Quebec

Send in your application as soon as possible to reserve your spot and start preparing for your move. We suggest that you send your application in March/April for the fall session and by July/August for the winter session.

  • Housing – We have 2 and 3 bedroom apartments that are rented on a first come first served basis.All apartments are furnished (including appliances) and laundry facilities are provided. There are also many housing options nearby in Sherbrooke and the surrounding area that we can help you find. *Please note that, for off-campus housing, most property owners require that a 12-month lease be signed. It is also not always possible to find furnished apartments off campus.
  • Clothing – Bring warm clothes! A good winter coat and even a couple of pairs of long underwear will be welcome from December through March. If you have winter sports equipment such as ice-skates, snowshoes, or skis, there are many opportunities to use them here. Bicycles are not practical from November through the end of March.
  • Transportation – Public transportation are readily available throughout the area but the campus is located on the edge of the city, several blocks from the nearest bus stop. Cars are practical for those living off campus. Snow tires are required by law December – March due to the amount of snowfall and hills in the region. You might want to bring a snow shovel too!
  • Food and other shopping – Virtually everything to which you are accustomed in the United States or in other parts of Canada are available here, generally at slightly higher prices.

We recommend that you move to Sherbrooke at least one week before classes start for time to get settled and adjusted before classes start. Please let us know when you are coming as well as the kind of apartment you will be requiring so that we can make arrangements before you arrive.

Education for children

Public schools are available both in English and in French, with special classes available to help English children learn French.

Ideally, children should be registered in mid-August because school begins during the last week of August. It is essential to have official birth certificates for your children, as well as previous school records. Birth certificates must have your names on them as the parents. Non-Canadian children will also need to have immigration documents from both the Quebec and Canadian governments. The procedure for obtaining them should be started well in advance. We will help you through this whole process once we receive your application papers.

How Long to Stay

The speed at which a person learns a language depends on a number of factors that vary from one person to the next.  These factors include such things as language learning aptitude, previous language learning experience, personal motivation, age and family status.

The level of proficiency you require will depend on your intended use of the French language.  In order to be able to preach or teach in French, most students should plan on completing at least the advanced level, and possibly even the immersion level.

Students normally progress through two levels during a ten month period, during the fall and winter semesters.  The spring semester is a conversation course intended to strengthen the proficiency attained during the previous semester(s).

Beginner level students should anticipate investing three semesters, in addition to the spring semester, if they desire to complete the advanced level of the program.


Note:  All prices listed in this document are calculated in Canadian currency and are subject to change without notice. 


Fall Session 2022:

Beginner: $4,671 (15 Weeks)

Intermediate: $4671 (15 weeks)

Advanced: $4671 (15 weeks)

Ends Mid-December

Winter Session 2023:

Beginner: $4,671 (15 Weeks)

Intermediate: $4671 (15 weeks)

Advanced: $4671 (15 weeks)

Ends Mid-April

Spring Session 2023:

Conversation: $2,868 (9 weeks)

Ends Beginning of June

+ Class notes & workbooks : $50 per session

+ Required resource & textbooks: $625

Living Expenses

A family of 4 or 5 will need about $2,000 – $2,500 per month for total living expenses (excluding tuition and school costs).  You should also plan on about $500 for getting settled in once you arrive.

 Daycare Service Example Cost      Fall Winter Spring
For one child, for half of a day $1,500 $1,500 $900

You can also send your child/children to daycare part time, depending on the availability.

The cost is $22 for half a day per child, charged monthly.

For babies; 18 months and younger, $1,800 per session or $27 for half a day.


  Fall Winter Spring
Meals, Double room ( Internet, laundry) (1)  $2,385 $ 2,385 $1,448

(1) For a single room (if available), add $100 per month,

(2) The fees for rooms and meals do not include the periods of Fall and Winter mid-term breaks or the Christmas or Easter breaks. During these times, the kitch in closed. Dorm students are responsible for making alternate arrangements during these breaks.  In some cases, dorm students may participate in a 2-week mission trip during the Spring semester.  An additional cost for this trip may be charged, depending on the destination.


Dorm Housing for Singles – Our dorms serve our French Bible School students, who are mostly young adults between 17 and 22 years old.  All dorm residents are expected to contribute to community life by following dorm rules and participating in several hours of manual work on campus each week.



At registration, we require payment for the entire semester, or a letter from your mission board indicating that they will accept direct billing for your fees from Parole de Vie.   Apartment rent is due at the beginning of each month.

Make all cheques payable to Parole de Vie Quebec.



 Fall Winter  Spring Total for 3 semesters
One child for half days, 5 days/week**  $1 500  $1 500 $900  $3 600

**You will receive a reduction of price if you pay with cash, check, bank transfer, or email.

It is possible to send your child/children to daycare part time, depending on availability.  The cost for part-time is $22 for half a day per child, charged monthly.  Extra fees apply for children under the age of 18 months.



Apartment Rentals

The following rents are for on-campus furnished apartments (we only rent furnished apartments, including everything except bedding and towels, telephones, televisions and computers) and include utilities (water, heat and electricity, laundry and internet):

One bedroom $650  per month
Two bedrooms $775 per month
Three bedrooms $850 – $950 per month

You will receive a reduction of price if you pay with cash, check, bank transfer, or email.

In order to keep rents to a minimum, all tenants of Parole de Vie’s apartments are requested to participate in some manual work on the campus.  This includes cleaning of common areas in the apartment buildings and snow removal.  Students who so desire may volunteer to help with other tasks according to needs and abilities.

Students living off campus can expect to pay more for basic rent, plus furnishings and utilities. In most cases, they may be required to sign a full 12 month lease.



Tuition and other fees

At registration, we require payment for the entire semester, or a letter from your mission board indicating that they will accept direct billing for your fees from Word of Life Bethel.  Apartment rent is due at the beginning of each month.


Confirmation Deposit

A non refundable $200 confirmation deposit for each student is to be sent upon reception of notification of acceptance. This will be applied to the first semester tuition.




Any part-time or full-time student in the language school is held responsible, both academically and financially, for any or all courses for which he (she) has registered.  The student has two weeks from the beginning of the semester to drop or change a course.  This must be done in writing and given directly to the registrar, not to the teacher.  After this date, no cancellation or course change will be considered and there will be no refund.


If a student leaves during the beginning of the school year for personal or disciplinary reasons, a part of the tuition fee for the current session may be reimbursed:

During the semester :

Reimbursement                If withdrawal during the
100 %                                                      first week
85 %                                                   second week
70 %                                                      third week
55 %                                                   fourth  week
40 %                                                        fifth week
25 %                                                       sixth week
0 %                                                    seventh week

Accommodation costs and meals that the student has not taken will be reimbursed from the week following his departure.

  • Living Expenses

A family of 4 or 5 will need about $2,000 – $2,500 per month for total living expenses (excluding tuition and school costs). You should also plan on about $500 for getting settled in once you arrive.

  • Meal plans

Meal plans are available for students who do not live in the dorms. Contact us for information and pricing, which will be tailored to which meals you would like to sign up for.

Want to see how we stack up to other Language Schools?School comparison